Every Tuesday, enjoy an in-depth insight into the Barber’s stunning collection through our programme of fascinating mini podcasts: series two.
Explore the Barber’s stunning collection through our weekly ten-minute talks – discussions include past and present displays, small groups of related works, an aspect of a University of Birmingham student or Barber member of staff’s own research, or single masterpieces and recent acquisitions.
The guitar music has been composed and performed by Jack Davies specifically for these mini podcasts.
These talks began as part of our initiative to bring the Barber’s collection into your home virtually, while the gallery’s doors were closed to visitors in line with government advice during the Covid-19 pandemic.
?We hope you enjoy our second series.
10 November: Rodin, with Helen Cobby, Assistant Curator
3 November: Ikegobo to the Iyoba,?with?Adwoa Owusu-Barnieh, University of Birmingham Classical Literature and Civilizations graduate
- View ‘Altar to the Hand’, by an unknown West African Artist, while you listen
- ‘Ikegobo to the Iyoba’ transcript
27 October: ‘The Art of Devotion: Sacred Illuminations, Prints, and Drawings’,?with April Armstrong-Bascombe, Collections Intern
- Visit our new display,?‘The Art of Devotion: Sacred Illuminations, Prints, and Drawings’ at the Barber until 21 February
- ‘Art of Devotion’ transcript
20 October: ‘Changing Shapes’,?with Helen Cobby, Assistant Curator
- Content warning: please be aware this talk includes discussion of sexual violence in relation to historic art and literature
- Visit our new display, ‘Changing Shapes: Metamorphosis in Art’ at the Barber until 31 January
- ‘Changing Shapes’ transcript
13 October:?Salomon van Ruysdael’s ‘A Cavalry Travelling through a Wooded Landscape’, 1658, with Robert Wenley, Deputy Director and Head of Collections
6 October: Now and Then,?with Nicola Kalinsky, Director
- View ‘Primrose Hill – Winter’ by Frank Auerbach, ‘Pastoral Landscape’ by?Claude Lorrain, ‘Landscape in Flanders’ by Peter Paul Rubens, ‘The River Dee near Eaton Hall’ by?Richard Wilson.
- ‘Now and Then’ transcript
29 September: ‘Self-Portrait in Profile: The Artist’s Process’,?with Flora Kay, Learning and Engagement Manager
- View Kathe Kollwitz’s ‘Self Portrait in Profile’ while you listen
- Kollwitz transcript
- You can see another of the artist’s prints, ‘Woman with Dead Child’, on display in ‘Maternal Bonds’?until 11 October
22 September: Student Lightning Talk: ‘Degas Dancers’, with?Emily Langridge, University of Birmingham History of Art student
- View Edgar Degas’s ‘Grande Arabesque’, Third Time’?and ‘Dancer Ready to Dance, Right Foot Forward’
- Degas transcript
15 September: Student Lightning Talk: ‘Arm Reliquary’, with Nadia Sommella, University of Birmingham History of Art student
- View ‘Arm Reliquary’ in the gallery to the right, and in the transcript
- Arm reliquary transcript
8 September: Student Lightning Talk: ‘The Evening Meal’, with Maya Biddulph, University of Birmingham Liberal Arts and Natural Sciences student
1 September: Student Lightning Talk: ‘Lovers in a Landscape’,?with Susanna Davis, University of Birmingham History and History of Art graduate